Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 10: No Rest For Those With Old Mattresses

Over the last two weeks, I have definitely noticed the quality of my sleep declining; at this point, I feel confident that the problem is with my mattress, as the title suggests. I'm not sure what would have changed to make things get worse so suddenly, but I have had my grievances with the mattress for a while. It is on the old side, and like most spring mattresses, has developed its own peculiar array of dips, hills and variations in firmness over the years.

But lately, I wake with far less energy than usual, often wishing simply to roll over and claim enough sleep to compensate. This has led to more than a few unusually late mornings, and those spent somewhat listlessly. I struggle to focus and be productive. Where I am usually quite able for 18 to 19 hours in a given day, I have found myself weary after only 15. My nutrition steadily improves, exercise has made my body stronger, and I am comparatively free of stress, so I'm inclined to rule out those factors. However, regardless of how I feel when I go to sleep, I wake with stiffness and soreness in my neck, shoulders and back. So, yeah. Hopefully I can set aside some money for a new mattress relatively soon.

In addition, my desktop's drive is doing its level best to die on me before the replacement part I desire is in stock. You will also notice that this blog, when I do update it, which is not regularly enough, is being updated in a somewhat token fashion. This really isn't the great start I had hoped for with this sort of undertaking, and saying that this kind of laxity and inconsistency speaks to the need for this blog to exist seems almost insultingly flippant. Tomorrow, crappy mattress or not, I will adhere to the schedule I have set for myself, including updating this when I've said I would, with the attention it merits.

Still learning,
~L


No comments:

Post a Comment